Lunt - Solarprism / Herschel Wedge 2"

Be the first to review this product

Review and collect 50 points.

Availability: In stock

With this product, you earn 299 loyalty point(s). Find more about this!

Bread Checkout
Manufactured by:
Lunt Solar Systems

Product Description



  • 2" Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
  • 2" ND3 Pre-installed Filter
  • Metal Carrying Case
  • Die Cut Foam with room for Accessories




The Lunt Wedge is designed to replace the standard diagonal at the rear end of your Refractor telescope. Unlike front mounted filters the Wedge transmits a safe level of full spectrum light providing true white light views.

The Lunt Wedge contains a fully integrated heat trap. The heat is allowed to pass thru the prism and is directed to the rear end of the Wedge. At the rear of the Wedge you will note a red disk. This disk serves to absorb the heat and prevent internal reflection of the residual light. The fins act to pull cooler air thru the rear part of the system as the heat sink heats up. This convection will keep the heat sink from getting too hot.


The William Herschel Telescope (WHT) and Herschel Prism in history:

The surname Herschel  has been prominent in the field of Astronomy since the 1700's beginning with William Herschel who is credited with the discovery of the gas giant planet Uranus in 1781.  So profound was the lasting impact of his discovery that in 1981 the then 3rd largest single optical telescope in the world was named the William Herschel Telescope (WHT). This 165 inch monster is located in the Canary Islands and even today the William Herschel Telescope (WHT) ranks as the second largest optical/near infrared telescope in Europe.

Then in the 1830's the name Herschel once again makes a huge impact in the world of Astronomy when John Herschel invented a way to effectively refract about 95% of light gathered in the optical path through the use of a trapezoidal prism while allowing the remaining 5% of light to reflect through to the eyepiece in much the same way as a standard diagonal mirror.  Herschel's Wedge or Prism then permits safe solar observation in a way still considered most effective.

The William Herschel Telescope and Herschel Wedge have certainly done the family name proud!


Name Lunt - Solarprism / Herschel Wedge 2"
Manufacturer Lunt Solar Systems
Eyepiece Barrel Size 2"
Filter(s) ND3 pre-installed
Optical Design White light solar prism
Star Diagonal 2" prism
Thermal Stability integrated heat trap
Use solar observation and imaging
Warranty 1 yr


How do you rate this product? *