- Colossal 14"-aperture parabolic optics open up the heavens to new visual adventures!
- Enhanced reflectivity (94%) aluminum mirror coatings for brighter images
- 14" optics collect 36% more light than a 12" mirror, and an amazing 96% more light than a 10" Dobsonian allowing you to resolve significantly fainter objects and more subtle details
- Orion-designed for great pack-it-up portability! Both optical tube and base disassemble without tools to fit easily into a standard-size car
- The Orion-designed collapsible base, made of 1" thick composite wood with a weather-resistant laminated finish for rock-solid stability, adds to the portability of the XX14i
- Included IntelliScope object location technology pinpoints thousands of objects with pushbutton ease- Much more affordable than comparably sized "boutique" Dobsonians
- Eight-pole truss design ensures greater structural rigidity than competitors' 3- and 6-pole designs- Ultra-smooth azimuth base motion optimized by Ebony Star on virgin teflon bearing surfaces
- All collapsible base and truss-pole hardware is captive to prevent accidental loss
- Dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford focuser allows sharp views of even the most elusive celestial targets
The XX14i turns the night sky into an endless playground of deep-space surprises for intermediate and advanced observing enthusiasts. The space-penetrating 14" (356mm) parabolic primary mirror, made from low-thermal expansion glass, features enhanced reflectivity (94%) aluminum coatings to deliver more light to the eye. And what do 14" optics buy you in the way of extra light gathering power compared to 12" and 10" optics? Plenty! The XX14i pulls in 36% more light than a 12" and 96% more than 10" optics, allowing you to resolve significantly fainter objects and more subtle details.
Once your observing target is locked in utilizing the IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator's database of 14,000 celestial objects, the XX14i's dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford focuser lets you quickly bring the object into crisp, clear focus using either of the included eyepieces: low-power 35mm 2" DeepView or high power 10mm 1.25" Sirius Plossl. With a maximum eyepiece height of 63 inches, viewing through the XX14i will not require a stool or ladder for most observers, even when observing objects near zenith.
The XX14i adds a convenient new twist to truss-tube Dobsonian portability by allowing easy disassembly of both the optical tube and the base into smaller, easily manageable pieces. The optical tube itself features an eight-pole truss design (four captive pairs) that provides greater structural rigidity than similar 6-pole truss or 3-pole "parallel strut" designs. Large hand knobs and captive bolts make for user-friendly assembly and disassembly of the tube sections. To minimize the size of the bottom section of the XX14i's optical tube, it has been engineered with three removable, recessed counterweights that provide the optimum balance for the tube on its 8" diameter altitude hubs.
The Orion-designed collapsible base, made of 1"-thick composite wood with a weather-resistant laminated finish for for rock-solid stability, adds to the portability of the XX14i. The base quickly breaks down into four pieces without tools, to easily fit into standard sized automobiles. All hardware is captive to prevent accidental loss.
The SkyQuest XX14i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian makes owning a large-aperture Dobsonian more exciting and more practical than ever before. Its synthesis of pack-it-up portability, incredible optics, IntelliScope digital object location system, and affordable prices puts it in a league of its own. It's an all-star performer for the visual astronomer who's ready for "deeper-sky" adventures!
Assembled weight (including accessories): 115 lbs. Assembled optical tube, 61"L x 16.5"W, 69.25 lbs. Bottom tube section, 21.5"L x 16.5"W, 52.9 lbs; top tube section, 8.5"L x 16.5"W, 9.4 lbs. Truss poles (8), 30.5"L x 1" W. Total weight of 4 truss pole pairs and captive assembly knobs: 6.95 lbs. Assembled Base, 28.5" W x 27" H, 45.4 lbs. 12V battery pack included (requires 8 D-cells: not included) to power Cooling Accelerator fan. One-year limited warranty.
- Use Astronomy
- User level Advanced
- Optical design Reflector
- Optical diameter 356mm
- Focal length 1650mm
- Focal ratio f/4.6
- Optics type Parabolic
- Glass material Low thermal expansion glass
- Eyepieces included DeepView 35.0mm (2in.), Sirius Plossl 10.0mm (1.25in.)
- Magnification with included eyepieces 47x, 165x
- Resolving power 0.33arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification 47x
- Highest useful magnification 300x
- Limiting stellar magnitude 15.4
- Optical quality Diffraction limited
- Finder scope 9x50
- Focuser 2in. dual-speed Crayford
- Secondary mirror obstruction 82mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter 23%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area 5%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings Aluminum and Silicon Dioxide
- Mount style Dobsonian
- Astro-imaging capability Simple moon shots
- Computerized compatibility Intelliscope included
- Alignment procedure 2-Star Alignment
- Number of objects in database 14000+
- Bearing material AZ: EbonyStar/Teflon, ALT: UHMW/ABS
- Power requirement 9-volt battery
- Setting circles Electronic, via the hand controller
- Available ports RS-232
- Tube material Steel
- Tripod material Wood
- Length of optical tube 61.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube 63.5 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod 44.5 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled 120.0 lbs.
- Additional included accessories Collapsible base design for excellent portability, Cooling Accelerator Fan included, 2in. Dual-Speed Crayford focuser w/ 1.25in. adapter
- Other features IntelliScope Object Locator (w/ 9-volt battery), EbonyStar on Virgin Teflon azimuth bearings, Large 8in. altitude bearings w/ adjustable tension
- Warranty One year;
|Name||Orion - SkyQuest XX14i IntelliScope Trust Tube Dobsonian|
|Custom Stock Status||Ships in 3-5 Days|
|Telescope Aperture||12.1" - 14"|
|Alignment Procedures||2-Star Alignment (14,000+ object database)|
|Bearings||AZ: EbonyStar/Teflon, ALT: UHMW/ABS|
|Eyepieces||DeepView 35.0mm (2"), 10.0mm (1.25")|
|Eyepiece 1 Magnification||47x|
|Eyepiece 2 Magnification||165x|
|Focuser||2" dual-speed Crayford|
|Highest Useful Magnification||300x|
|Included Accessories||Collapsible base design for excellent portability, 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser w/ 1.25" adapter|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||15.4|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||47x|
|Optical Coatings||Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide|
|Optical Design||Reflector (Parabolic) Low thermal expansion glass|
|Optical Tube Length||61.0 in|
|Optical Tube Weight||63.5 lbs|
|Power Requirements||9-volt battery|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||82mm|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area||5%|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||23%|