Orion ED80 80mm f/7.5 Apochromatic Refractor Telescope
We love those premium "apo" refractors as much as the next guy. We just don't think you should have to work a second job or put the family heirlooms on eBay to own one. Now you won't, thanks to our amazingly affordable Orion 80mm Extra-Low Dispersion Refractor Telescope Optical Tube.
- A no-nonsense f/7.5 apochromatic refractor telescope offered at an unprecedented low price
- Transmits spectacular views of deep-sky delicacies as well as closer solar system targets for visual enjoyment or astrophotography pursuits
- 80mm refractor objective doublet includes one element of high-quality FPL-53 ED or extra-low dispersion glass, which virtually eliminates false color
- Features a smooth-adjusting 2" aluminum Crayford focuser that accepts 2" or 1.25" astronomy accessories for a wide variety of applications\
- Optical tube assembly only, does not include telescope mount or tripod - which can be purchased separately
It's a sweet telescope all right. With a focal length of 600mm (f/7.5), the "ED80" is wonderfully suited for visual applications on both solar system and deep-sky objects as well as for prime-focus astrophotography and charge coupled device or, "CCD" imaging.
It sports a multi-coated 80mm objective lens doublet, one element of which is crafted from Extra-Low Dispersion, or "ED" optical glass. This high-grade glass greatly reduces the chromatic aberration inherent in standard achromats. Images appear more sharply focused and color fringing around bright objects is lessened dramatically.
The objective lens is held in a machined, black anodized aluminum cell and shaded by an aluminum dew cap. Internal tube baffles ensure high contrast and prevent ghosting.
The ED80mm features a superb, backlash-free 2" Crayford-style focuser, which accepts both 2" and 1.25" diagonals. Notice the focus wheels: classy, brushed-aluminum hubs with ridged rubber grip rings. Nice touch. Set the focuser tension or lock it for imaging with the focus lock knob. The molded-in dovetail base accepts the optional Orion finder scope of your choice. Tube has a built-in 1/4"-20 plate.
At a length of just 24", the ED80mm is extremely portable. And at an affordable price so the rest of us can enjoy the pleasures of a premium refractor without the pain of the premium price!
|Name||Orion - ED80 80mm f/7.5 Apochromatic Refractor Telescope|
|Manufacturer Part No||ORI-09895|
|Telescope Aperture||3.1" - 4"|
|Highest Useful Magnification||160x|
|Included Accessories||One element ED glass in apochromatic primary lens, Crayford focuser, Machined aluminum lens cell|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||12.2|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||12x|
|Optical Coatings||Fully multi-coated|
|Optical Design||Refractor (Extra low dispersion FPL-53)|
|Optical Tube Length||23.5 in|
|Optical Tube Weight||5.7 lbs|