- Compact Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope optical tube outfitted for daytime terrestrial use - just add a tripod!
- Excellent for daytime use as a versatile spotting scope capable of high magnification views
- During the night the Apex 127 provides sharply detailed views of the Moon, brighter planets such as Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn as well as open and globular star clusters and cloudy nebulas
- Tripod not included - altazimuth or field tripod will provide a solid foundation for the Apex 127 (mount and/or tripod sold separately)
- Includes a 25mm Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepiece, 6x30 finder scope, 45-degree correct-image diagonal, soft carry case, Starry Night astronomy software, and more!
In terms of what you can see, bigger telescopes are better. But bigger telescopes also require bulkier, heavier mounts to keep them stable, and consequently, an equally brawny owner to lug it around—not to mention more storage space.
Enter the Orion Apex 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope. It boasts big 127mm (5")-diameter optics but in a tube that's a fraction of the length (just 14.5" long!) and weight (8.6 lbs.) of a Newtonian reflector or refractor of similar aperture and focal length. That's the beauty of its Maksutov-Cassegrain optical design—it's so wonderfully portable.
And it's those same high-performance optics that give the Orion Apex 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope such outstanding image quality and such an incredible range of uses for the demanding observer. It gulps in 55% more light through its multi-coated, 5" meniscus lens than that of a 4" telescope, putting it in the big leagues for astronomical observation and advanced nature study. And its long 1540mm (f/12.1) focal length provides 62x magnification with the included 25mm Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece (1.25"), and lets you push the power up to 250x with optional eyepieces! Bright views of star clusters and nebulas at low power, stunning lunar and planetary detail at higher power—it's all in a night's work for the Apex 127mm.
And as a daytime spotting scope, no telescope is more capable, especially in low-light conditions. It couples quickly to any sturdy equatorial mount or photo-style tripod (we recommend our Paragon-Plus XHD tripod, #5360) thanks to a built-in 1/4"-20 adapter plate. Mounting and disassembly are a snap.
Quality is evident not only in the optics, but also in the black-anodized aluminum front and rear castings, the smooth-turning focus knob, and the extruded aluminum tube, with a classy, metallic-burgundy finish. The 6x26 achromatic, correct-image finder scope features a quick-release aluminum bracket with a dovetail base and two-screw X-Y alignment. The 25mm Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece slips into a 45° correct-image prism diagonal, also included. You might also be interested to know that the T-threads on the eyepiece adapter allow attachment of a 35mm camera body (with optional T-ring) to the telescope for telephoto photography.
And if all that weren't enough, Orion has include a fully padded, nylon/polyester carrying case, which has plenty of room for additional accessories in the zippered side pockets.
Unencumbered with complicated gadgetry like you find on competing models, the Orion Apex 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope offers hassle-free, big-aperture performance and convenient portability, at a price that's too good to pass up!
- Orion Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope Optical tube assembly
- 25mm Orion Sirius Plössl telescope eyepiece (1.25")
- 45º correct-image diagonal
- Orion 6x26 correct-image finder scope
- Finder scope bracket with O-ring
- Dust cap
- Soft telescope carry case
- Starry Night special edition software
Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only.
Please note this product was not designed or intended by the manufacturer for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
Visit our product support section for instruction manuals and more
|Name||Orion - Apex 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope|
|Custom Stock Status||Available - Ships in 3-5 Days|
|Telescope Aperture||4.1" - 5"|
|Eyepieces||Sirius Plossl 25.0mm (1.25")|
|Highest Useful Magnification||254x|
|Included Accessories||Optical tube carry case, Dust Cap,|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||13.2|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||18x|
|Mount||Optical Tube without Mount|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||39mm|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area||9%|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||31%|