Opticstar SL-131C Coolair Color CMOS Planetary Camera
- Sensor: 1/3" CMOS 10-bit Colour
- Sensor Resolution: 1280(H) x 1024(V)
- Frame Rate:
- 15 FPS @ 1280x1024
- 110 FPS @ 640x480
- 160 FPS @ 320x240
- USB 2.0 Powered
- Hardware Gain
- Robust aluminium alloy body
- No Infra Red filter
- Suitable for Lunar and Solar imaging
- Air-Cooled with internal fan
- Bundled Software:
- Opticstar View
- Computer Requirements:
- Microsoft Windows (32-bit & 64-bit) XP/Vista/7/8
- USB 2.0 port
The SL-131C COOLAIR is a high-resolution 1.3 mega-pixel colour camera that can be used to capture images of the Sun and Moon. The camera is very easy to use and provides a quality, low noise affordable solution for viewing or capturing digital video from the telescope and recording it to your computer at a maximum 1.3 mega-pixel resolution. It is ideal for newcomers to astronomy who wish to capture high resolution images of bright objects such as the planets, Moon and the Sun (with a solar scope or suitable filters).
The SL-131C does not incorporate an infra-red block filter but can be fitted as an optional extra. The camera will operate at a maximum true resolution of 1280x1024 but lower resolutions of 640x480 and 320x240 are also supported.
The camera is cased in a robust metal body and can be connected to any telescope with a standard 1.25" drawtube. Additionally, the SL-131C has a 0.25" photographic thread that enables it to be attached to a photographic tripod. A PC with a USB2.0 port running Microsoft Windows XP or later is required.
Opticstar View - Camera Control Software
The camera is recommended for lunar and solar (with a solar filter) imaging. It includes Opticstar View software for image capture and camera control with a point and click interface. It can capture single frames, a series of single frames in BMP format or in AVI video format. The captured video data can optionally be compressed if required in MPEG-4 format.
A brief outline of View’s image processing functions is listed below:
- Basic operations including Crop, Mirror, Flip, Invert, Rotate, Bright, etc.
- Copy and paste user defined regions.
- Distances can be measured between user defined points, circles, etc.
- Angles can be calculated by defining three points on the image.
- Operations can be performed on any user defined region.
- Colour operations can be performed on individual R, G, B channels.
- Data combine of two images.
- Data calibration.
- Image-zoom as a per cent of the original image.
- Linear filters to soften, sharpen, emboss, blur and Gaussian.
- Non-linear filters for median, erode, dilate, contour, edge and jitter.
- Transform filters for pinch, punch, twirl and cylinder.
- Fluorescence filters for gamma, colorize, mix and combine.
EtAMCAP - Camera Control Software
EtAMCAP is the second program bundled with the camera. It can be used to control the camera and capture video in AVI format. This program does not include any image processing functionality but the captured video files can be processed in other software such as Deep Sky Stacker, Registax, Paintshop, Photoshop, etc.
The SL-131C camera can stream and store video to disk at up to 15 frames per second at 1280x1024 resolution, it can also grab single frames at 1280x1024. All video and single frames are captured without compression, ensuring high image quality. Higher frame rates can be achieved by reducing the resolution via the camera control software.
The ability of the camera to capture and store high quality video to disk in real-time provides the data required for stacking any number of frames to create a single greatly enhanced quality image using image stacking software, these include the excellent AstroArt V4.0 and freely available Deep Sky Stacker or Registax. AstroArt is more relevant when you want to manipulate the image but without altering the underlying data, AstroArt is therefore highly suitable for photometry.
Optionally, the SL-131C incorporates a removable x0.5 focal reducer nosepiece that can double the field of view if required. An extension 5 metre USB lead with a USB repeater (amplifier) is also available in cases where the camera will be used further away from the computer.
The package contains the following:
- Opticstar SL-131C COOLAIR 1.3 mega-pixel colour camera.
- CS-mount to 1.25" telescope adaptor (threaded for filters).
- USB 2.0 cable.
- Camera control software on CD.
- Set-up guide and user manual.
|Name||Opticstar - SL-131C Coolair Color CMOS Planetary Camera|
|Custom Stock Status||Available - Ships in 3-5 Days|
|ADC (analog to digital converter)||10-bit, dual on-chip|
|Colour Bayer RGB Mosaic||24-bit (3 x 8-bit) Uncompressed output|
|Computer Interface||USB 2.0 with 1.8 metre cable|
|Exposure||Automatic or Manual|
|Frames Per Second (fps)||15fps @ 1280x1024 110fps @ 640x480 160fps @ 320x240|
|Gain e-/ADU||In hardware|
|Mounting to lens||C to T-thread, M42 x 0.75|
|Mounting to microscope||C to 23mm, C to 30mm, C to 30.5mm|
|Mounting to telescope||C/CS to 1.25" (included)|
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows (64-bit & 32-bit) XP/Vista/7/8|
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 60°C|
|Optical Format||1/3" CMOS colour sensor|
|Pixel Size||3.6µm x 3.6µm|
|Power Requirements||USB 2.0 Bus Power|
|Resolution||1280(W) x 1024(H)|
|Sensitivity||1.1v/Lux-sec at 550nm|
|Sensor Type||Aptina MT9M111|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||44db (max)|
|Window glass||Clear, no Infra Red cut-off|