CELESTRON • CGEM DX1400 FASTAR Ready* 14" Computerized SCT 11005
The focal ratio of a telescope is a very important factor that determines what type of viewing the optical tube is suited for. Generally speaking, faster focal ratios like f/2 are better for deep sky observing and faster imaging while slower focal ratios like f/11 tend to be better for observing planets. Catadioptric designs such as Schmidt-Cassegrains use aspects from both reflectors and refractors and by default have a slow focal ratio in a shorter sized optical tube. However, they're also compatible with many accessories that can adapt the optical tube for better deep sky viewing and imaging. In the case of the Celestron CGEM DX 1400 FASTAR Schmidt-Cassegrain Computerized Telescope, a built in feature called the *FASTAR system (option) consists of a removable secondary mirror (INCLUDED) that turns the focal ratio from f/11 to f/2. This makes imaging with larger CCD sensors with bigger pixels possible resulting in faster exposure times.
The smaller cousin to the CGE Pro, the Celestron CGEM DX Equatorial Mount features many of the basic CGE Pro mechanics such as slewing capacity and All-Star alignment. It is great for both visual astronomers and astro-imagers alike. With a payload of 50 Ibs, the majority of larger end optical tubes can be supported on this mount. The CGEM DX is quite easy to set up and the observer can get it properly aligned and tracking pretty quickly with the All-Star Polar Alignment method. This setup gets the mount aligned properly to the north celestial pole by slewing to a bright star and giving the observance reference how to adjust the altitude and azimuth accordingly. With a maximum slewing rate of over 5°/per second, the amount of objects the observer will be able to look at in a stargazing period with be outstanding!
The CGEM DX Equatorial Mount uses the NexStar hand controller which has a 40,000 object database with information on over 200 of them. This includes the deep sky objects such as the Messier and NGC as well as solar system objects like the planets and moon. The mount’s internal motors are built with optical encoders, required for low speed tracking. The user can also run their mount through their PC using the supplied RS-232 connection port on the hand controller. To turn this mount GPS compatible, it is highly recommended the optional SkySync GPS Accessory be used in conjunction with the CGEM DX.
ERGONOMIC DESIGN - CGEM DX was designed to be ergonomically friendly with large Altitude and Azimuth adjustment knobs for quick and easy polar alignment adjustment. The internal RA and DEC motor wiring provides a clean look and an easy and trouble free set up.
INNOVATION - The CGEM DX series has a new innovative Polar alignment procedure called All-Star™. All-Star allows users to choose any bright star, while the software calculates and assists with polar alignment. Another great feature of the CGEM DX sure to please astroimagers, is the Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PEC) which will allow users to train out the worm gears periodic errors, while the mount retains the PEC recordings.
PERFORMANCE - For objects near the Meridian (imaginary line passing from North to South), the CGEM DX will track well past the Meridian for uninterrupted imaging through the most ideal part of the sky. The CGEM mount has a robust database with over 40,000 objects, 100 user defined programmable objects and enhanced information on over 200 objects.
POWER MANAGEMENT - Redesigned electronics deliver constant regulated power to the motors making them capable of driving the telescope even when not perfectly balanced. This allows the CGEM DX to have the payload capacity of that of much larger mounts without sacrificing smooth tracking motion and pointing accuracy across the entire sky.
Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control:
- Double-line, 16-character LCD hand controller with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of go-to features
- Hand controller features a 40,000 object database, over 100 user-definable objects, and expanded information on over 200 objects. Additional features include mount calibration, database filter limits, hibernate and five alignment procedures
- "All-star" polar alignment uses any bright star for a quick and accurate polar alignment
- Hand controller software and motor control unit software is flash upgradeable with downloadable product updates
- Permanent Programmable Periodic Error Correction trains-out periodic errors in the worm gears and retains the settings.
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number
- When viewing items near the Equator, the software will track across the Meridian for uninterrupted imaging
- RS-232 communication port on hand controller to operate the telescope via a personal computer using the included NexRemote software
- GPS compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory
- 14" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope
- New CGEM DX Computerized Equatorial Mount
- FASTAR compatible optical tube for f/2 imaging (Fastar System available as an option)
- Schmidt-Cassegrain mechanism that moves the primary mirror to adjust focus is supported by two pre-loaded ball bearings
- Celestron's premium StarBright XLT coatings
- 9x50 finderscope to help accurately find objects
- Ultra sturdy 2.75 inch steel tripod with Accessory Tray
- Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
Introducing the new Celestron CGEM DX and CGEM DX HD series of telescopes! Designed for superior astrophotography performance while maintaining its portability, the CGEM DX delivers the backbone for all your observing needs.
|Name||Celestron - CGEM DX 1400 FASTAR Schmidt-Cassegrain 14" Computerized Telescope|
|Manufacturer Part No||CEL-11005|
|Telescope Aperture||12.1" - 14"|
|Alignment Procedures||2-Star Align, Quick Align, 1-Star Align, Last Alignment, Solar System Align|
|Angular Field of View||0.71 °|
|Computer Hand Control||Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display; 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons|
|Counterweights||2 x 22 lbs|
|Database||40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects|
|Eyepiece 1||40 mm|
|Eyepiece 1 Magnification||98 x|
|Focal Length||3910 mm|
|GPS||Optional SkySync GPS Accessory|
|Highest Useful Magnification||841 x|
|Light Gathering Power||2586 x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||15.3|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||51 x|
|Mount||CGEM DX Computerized Equatorial|
|Optical Coatings||Starbright XLT Coatings|
|Optical Design||Schmidt-Cassegrain (Aluminum)|
|Optical Tube Length||24 in|
|Power Requirements||12 VDC 3.5 Amps|
|Power Supply||Car battery adapter|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.33 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||0.39 arc seconds|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||4.5 in|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area||10 %|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||32 %|
|Tracking Modes||EQ North and EQ South|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tripod||Adjustable, Stainless Steel|