The Alta Design Team at Apogee worked hard over a two year period to bring this advanced degree of integration and performance to the astronomy market. Alta has set new standards for imaging performance, connectivity, cooling, compactness, cost effectiveness, and the elimination of external support electronics. Like the AP and KX series, Alta is a platform, not a CCD or specific interface type. It is designed for a variety of CCDs, ranging from the smallest to those measuring 36mm on a side with 4096 x 4096 arrays.
So many improvements in such a small package: No more external controllers, plug-in cards, or frame grabbers. Dual digitization for high precision plus high speed focus. On-board camera memory for fast local sequences and no worries about transfer interruptions. Time delayed integration for imaging far beyond the size of the sensor. A single 12V power input for optional battery-powered operation. In addition, the Apogee Alta U Series cameras have dual digitization, 12 and 16 bit. The 12 bit mode is intended primarily as a focus mode.
Alta U Series cameras are available with a wide variety of sensors, including: Back-illuminated sensors with very high quantum efficiency, some with sensitivity in the deep UV; Interline transfer sensors with fast electronic shuttering and inherent anti-blooming; front-illuminated CCDs with high sensitivity in the near-IR without etaloning. In general, the larger the pixel size, the higher the dynamic range. Smaller pixels (about 7 microns) are typically used for microscopy (U32; U2000; U4000); larger pixels and larger arrays are typically used for astronomy (U42, U47 back-illuminated; U16M, U9000, U6 front-illuminated).
Apogee Alta Scientific Imaging Systems means you'll get High Speed, low noise, 16/12 bit dual digitization to 7 MHz, TEC cooling to >75C. Lifetime warranty on CCD chamber seal. Fast USB 2.0 advanced I/O control. The Apogee Alta imaging systems represent cost effective advanced imaging technology not found anywhere else. The Alta platform currently supports 11 different housing configurations, including high cooling, wide entrance angle, and low profile variants, many with a choice of fans or liquid circulation.
Apogee Alta U6 Highlights
- 1024 x 1024 array, 24 x 24u pixels
- 5 MHz 12-bit and 1 MHz 16-bit digitization
- 32Mbyte camera memory
- USB 2.0 interface: no plug in cards or external controllers
- Programmable, intelligent cooling to 50C below ambient (D02 housing) / 60-65C below ambient (D09 housing)
- Binning up to 10 Horizontal x 1024 Vertical
- Subarray readout and fast sequencing modes
- Precision time delayed integration (TDI) readout
- Programmable fan speed for low / zero vibration
- Two serial port outputs for control of peripheral devices
- General purpose programmable I/O port
- External triggering and strobe controls
- ActiveX drivers included with every system
- Field upgradeable firmware
- Fused silica windows with MgF2 coating on both sides
- Runs from single 12V supply with input voltage monitor
- Compact enclosure
- Programmable status indicators
About the Kodak KAF-1001E Imaging Sensor
The Kodak KAF-1001 Image Sensor is a high-performance, silicon charge-coupled device (CCD) designed for a wide range of image sensing applications in the 0.4mm to 1.1mm wavelength band. Common applications include medical, scientific, military, machine and industrial vision.
The sensor is built with a true two-phase CCD technology employing a transparent gate. This technology simplifies the support circuits that drive the sensor and reduces the dark current without compromising charge capacity. The transparent gate results in spectral response increased ten times at 400nm, compared to a front side illuminated standard polysilicon gate technology. The sensitivity is increased 50% over the rest of the visible wavelengths. The clock selectable on-chip output amplifiers have been specially designed to meet two different needs. The first is a high sensitivity 2-stage output with 11μV/e- charge to voltage conversion ratio. The second is a single-stage output with 2μV/e- charge to voltage conversion ratio.
Kodak KAF-1001E Sensor Features
- Front Illuminated Full-Frame Architecture
- Blue Plus Transparent Gate True Two Phase Technology for high sensitivity
- 100% Fill Factor
- Single Readout Register
- 2 Clock Selectable Outputs
- High Gain Output (11 μV/e-) for low noise
- Low Gain Output (2.0 μV/e-) for high dynamic range
- Low Dark Current (<30 pA/cm2 @ T=25oC)
- Scientific Imaging and Medical Imaging Applications
|Manufacturer||Apogee Imaging Systems|