This is a discontinued item. We recommend the SBIG STF-8300M Off-Axis Guider Filter Wheel Package as a replacement.
Large format 8.3 Megapixels Monochrome
The SXVR-H18 is another new departure from the normal SX line of Sony CCD based cameras. Until now, it was difficult for us to manufacture a camera based on a 'full frame' CCD, as such cameras need a mechanical shutter to avoid image smearing during download. We have now designed a highly miniaturised and reliable shutter that is small enough to fit inside the CCD chamber, and so here is our first full-frame camera!
To reduce the negative effects of the greater Kodak dark signal, we have used a two stage Peltier cooler for an extra 10 degree reduction in the CCD temperature, and a multicoated fused quartz optical window for reduced dewing and better UV/IR transmission. The fast 4.5 second download time minimises the visibility of bias frame artefacts, such as hot columns and the top to bottom gradient that is commonly seen on such chips. We think that the result is a highly satisfactory mono camera with excellent sensitivity and resolution.
- Large, high resolution Kodak CCD chip, with 8,300,000 x 5.4uM square pixels in a 17.96 x 13.52mm array
- High sensitivity, 56% QE at peak (540nM - green light)
- Very good H-alpha sensitivity (48% QE at 656nM)
- Low dark signal - Dark frames not necessary for most of the brighter deep sky objects
- Anti-blooming with minimal effect on linearity
- Fused quartz optical window for good thermal and optical performance
- Fast, low vibration electric shutter. Latency less than 0.05 seconds
- Fully user adjustable chip alignment for perfect focus across the entire field
- Built-in super high speed USB 2.0 interface for approx. 4.5 second downloads
- Built-in autoguider interface and output - compatible with the optional dedicated external guide camera
- Built-in dual serial ports for accessory control - directly drive filter wheels, GOTO 'scopes etc.
- Single USB cable control for all features - get rid of that dangerous cable tangle!
- Only ONE computer needed to control all of the devices and functions
- Very low power consumption. Less than 1.0 amps at 12v DC - 12VA at 110v or 240v AC
- Compact and lightweight - only 75mm in diameter x 70mm long - less than 500 grams load on the 'scope!
- CCD type: Kodak KAF8300M full frame CCD with low dark current and lateral anti-blooming.
- CCD Full resolution Pixel data: Pixel size: 5.4uM x 5.4uM, Image format: 3326 x 2504 pixels
- CCD Image area: 17.96mm (Horizontal) x 13.52mm (Vertical).
- CCD quality: Standard grade - No dead columns, no dead pixels.
- Spectral Response: QE max at 540nM (~56%), 48% at 470nM and 656nM.
- Readout Noise: Less than 8 electrons RMS - typically only 6.5 electrons.
- Full-well capacity: Greater than 25,000 e- (unbinned)
- Anti-blooming: Overload margin greater than 100x.
- Dark current: Dark frame saturation time greater than 10 hours. Less than 0.05 electrons/second @ + 10C ambient.
- Data format: 16 bits.
- System gain: 0.35 electrons per ADU
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0 compatible interface.
- Image download time: Typically 4.5 seconds at full resolution using USB 2.0.
- Power requirements: 115VAC / 240VAC @ 12VA, or 12VDC @ 750mA max.
- Cooling system: Regulated constant current cooling supply with two stage thermoelectric cooler to give a CCD temperature of approximately -40C below ambient.
- Size: 75 x 70mm black anodised aluminium barrel with 42mm 'T2' thread at the CCD window end & input/output plugs at rear. CCD alignment screws are provided for setting the chip parallel to the focal plane.
- Back focal distance from front of camera to CCD: Approx. 23mm
- Weight: approx. 400g.
An excellent wide-field image of IC1396 in H-alpha, taken by Jimmy Nguyen from the South California desert.
A stack of 24 x 10 minute subs with a Borg 71FL + 0.66x super reducer.
Another excellent H-alpha image by Jimmy Nguyen. IC1805 from the South California desert.
A super LRGB image of M13 by David Rosenthal
Another excellent LRGB image from David Rosenthal
SH2-101 in H-alpha, by David Rosenthal
IC2177 in H-alpha by Jimmy Nguyen
|Name||Starlight Xpress - SXVR-H18 USB 2.0 Camera - Monochrome w/ 2" FW and Off-Axis Guider - DISCONTINUED|
|Manufacturer||Starlight Xpress, LTD|
|Custom Stock Status||Out of Stock|