For Replacement of this discontinued item Please see:
The David H. Levy Comet Hunter is a rich field telescope (RFT), capable of showing faint objects over a wide field of view (generally two degrees or more). Explore Scientific has co-designed a Maksutov-Newtonian telescope with comet hunter and author David Levy that can help support the Sharing the Sky Foundation through the sale of this telescope. The Comet Hunter comes standard with a two-inch, 30mm focal length eyepiece with a wide 70° apparent field. This eyepiece combined with the short focal length of the telescope produce an amazing 2.86° true field of view with a 6.2mm exit pupil. Each Comet Hunter special edition telescope will come with a certificate signed by David Levy.
Includes TwiLight™ Altaz Mount with HD Tripod. Telescope may be purchased without mount & tripod.
- Clear Aperture: 152mm
- Secondary Obstruction:49mm; 32% Obstruction
- Resolving Power:.77 arc seconds
- Focal Length: 731mm
- Focal Ratio: f/4.8
- Primary Mirror Diameter: 152mm
- Secondary Mirror Diameter (M.A.): 46mm
- Coatings: EMD™ (Enhanced Multilayer Deposition)
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 13.4
- Maximum Practical Visual Power: 360x
- Lowest Useful Visual Power: 22.8x
- Focuser: Ten-to-One 2-Speed Crayford-Style, with Adjustable Tension and Lock
- Viewfinder: 8x50 Straight; Correct Image; Illuminated Reticle; Adjustable Objective and Eyepiece Focus; Dual-Ring, Six-Point, Bracket w/Quick Release Shoe
- Cradle: Dual Clamp-Ring Style with Built-In Handle
- Saddle Plate: One-Piece Machined Aluminum Extrusion; Fits Explore Scientific Mounts; Vixen Mounts; Meade LXD55/75 Mounts
- Tube Diameter: 180mm
- Tube Length: 696mm
- Tube Construction: Carbon Fiber; Aluminum; Stainless Steel
- Optical Tube Assembly Weight: 15.4 lbs.
All Explore Scientific telescopes are covered under their standard U.S.A. One Year Limited Warranty against defects with proof of purchase, but you can extend this limited warranty to five years by simply filling out the product registration and mailing it to Explore Scientific within 60 days.
This program is also available to the person who receives your gift of an Explore Scientific telescope. You don't need to give them the purchase receipt, just remind them to fill out the registration and mail it to Explore Scientific and they will take care of the rest.