Lunt Solar Systems - 60mm Double Stack B1200 Solar Telescope w/Pressure Tuner - 2" Feather Touch Focuser
Possibly the only Solar Telescope you will ever need !
- Ultra-Narrow Band Hydrogen-alpha (656.28nm) Dedicated System.
- A 60mm refractor based system with additional 50mm aperture secondary removeable filter.
- Dual etalons with the NEW Pressure Tuner allows for <0.5 Angstrom bandpass, providing 3D like enhanced surface detail.
- Use the Lunt double-stacked LS60T in single stack mode for prominence viewing or in double-stack mode for surface detail.
- The larger rear trimming filter allows for imaging with most basic camera equipment.
- The system includes the clamshell with threaded holes for mounting, dust caps, and is delivered in 2 Aluminum reinforced cases.
- An eyepiece is NOT included, and although any eyepiece will work, we recommend the Lunt Zoom.
Lunt Solar's LS60/Ha (Hydrogen-alpha) series are amazing Solar Telescopes. The refractor based systems have a precision aligned singlet chromatical lens with a 60mm aperture. The front singlet lens reduces by half again the stray light of an achromat , fully eliminating the possibility for on-axis coma, astigmatism, or de-centering aberrations and provides, with the matched collimation lens set, a full spherically corrected flat-field Solar Telescope. The focal length of 500mm provides a ~4.5 mm image thru the included 12mm required blocking filter. Fine adjustment is achieved with a Starlight FeatherTouch focuser with 10:1 reduction. With the addition of a secondary front mounted interference filter and the upgrade of the rear trimming filter, the visual package quickly becomes a superb visually enhanced instrument with the ability to also image the Sun utilizing basic camera equipment. Adding the front filter provides a view of the Sun in virtual 3D.
Enter Lunt Solar Systems' new Pressure Tuning System.
The air pressure of the atmosphere varies depending on your location above sea level. Unfortunately, sensitive Etalon filter systems respond to these air pressure variations. The wavelength range that is allowed through the filters shifts as a function of the ambient air pressure. This shifting is quite minimal, but at bandwidths of less than one Angstrom it is clearly visible. If the filter is not adjusted precisely to the H-alpha wavelength, the image of the sun through the telescope degrades making prominences and surface details difficult to observe or image. Therefore, the Etalon filter systems have to be adjusted to the prevailing air pressure at the observation location. This “Tuning” adjustment is typically done by a mechanical tilting of the Etalon. At sub-angstrom wavelengths it is not easy to achieve the exact adjustment by mechanical tilting. And because the filter then is no longer perfectly straight in the beam path, but slightly oblique, there will frequently be optical distortion.
The new Doppler True Pressure Tuning system by Lunt Solar Systems takes a different path. The Etalon filter will not be tilted to only simulate a balance of the external air pressure, but the air pressure in the filter system itself is compensated for 100 percent of the real external air pressure. Thereafter the air surrounding the Etalon can simply be compressed or decompressed by the tuning system in order to change the air pressure between the surfaces. This allows the Etalon surfaces to always remain at the same perfect angle to the light waves while actually changing the diffractive index of the air in the chamber to around + or - 0.4 Angstrom on either side of the centerline of the H-alpha wavelength.
Simply put, True Doppler Tuning allows for a shift into and away from the user, adding a 3D like component to the viewing experience. While it has less effect on proms due to their being at the edge of the disk, it does have a major effect on filaments and active regions on the surface. While looking at a filament at the center of the Sun the user has the ability to Doppler shift from the base of the filament to the tip, following the filament thru it’s structure toward you and away from you, allowing for enhanced visual and imaging capability for the observer. Lunt Solar Systems' Doppler True Pressure Tuning method allows you to rapidly scan the scope’s sub-angstrom passband over the hydrogen alpha wavelength. The advanced technology of Doppler True Tuning for fine adjustment of the center wavelength allows research of the Sun’s disk and surface details at increased image scale. Prominences, flares, super granulation, filaments, and active regions will be precisely observed.
This package includes a B1200 (12mm) Blocking Filter (required!) for a larger field of view and superior imaging applications.
LS60T50DS/PT/FT Features: (double stacked):
- Type: Dual Interference Etalon
- Tuning: Internal Pressure Tune (Doppler True Tuning) and front Tilt
- Aperture: 60mm (Scope) 50mm (Filter)
- Focal Length: 500mm
- F Ratio: 8.3
- Bandpass: <0.5 Angstroms @ 656nm
- Focuser: Starlight Feather Touch with 10:1 fine adjustment
- Mounting: Integrated clamshell style with 1/4-20 tapped base
- Color: Pearl White with Black and Red accents
- Diagonal: B1200 Blocking Filter (included)
- Storage: 2 Aluminum finished hard case with fitted foam
- Weight: 6.6lbs (Scope) 2.5lbs (Filter)
|Manufacturer||Lunt Solar Systems|