Explore Scientific - 9mm 120° Series - Waterproof Eyepiece
Please see the EPW12009-01 for Replacement eyepiece
The new 9mm Explore Scientific has a hyperwide apparent field of view that’s an immense 120° across. It’s the widest field of view available in any commercial eyepiece. An astronomy first from Explore Scientific, the 120° apparent field of this new eyepiece shows more than twice the sky area of an 82° eyepiece and even an incredible 44% larger area than a 100° eyepiece.
- This 2” Explore Scientific 120° eyepiece is O-ring sealed and 100% waterproof. Internally sealing the eyepiece and purging it with inert, dry argon gas prevents internal fogging in the eyepiece when observing in colder temperatures.
- Each lens and lens grouping have EMD (Enhanced Multilayer Deposition) Coatings and are edge-blackened to eliminate light scatter and maintain image contrast. Contrast is further enhanced with baffles that mask and deflect unwanted stray light.
- This deep sky eyepiece, the first of its kind for astronomy, produces a highly corrected field across its entire 120° apparent field. The views of compact globular clusters, nebulas, and galaxies are breathtaking.
- The 9mm Explore Scientific eyepiece, has high contrast and full field sharpness utilizing 15 layer multi-coatings on all lens surfaces. Its 12 element, 8 group optical system is designed for maximum field/high power deep space use with telescopes having focal ratios down to f/4 and below.
- There is a soft rolldown eyecup to shield your eye from ambient light and improve the image contrast. Eye relief is a comfortable 13mm.
- Like all Explore Scientific eyepieces, the lens elements of the 120° eyepiece are meticulously cleaned and aligned before being installed in their precision machined lens barrels.
- Complete sealing maximizes the life of the internal optical coatings and makes the eyepiece easier to clean, as there is no risk of cleaning solution moving from the top of the lens and seeping around edges to be trapped in between elements.
- A great benefit of hyper-wide eyepieces is the ease with which you can gaze, not directly at an object, but slightly to either side. This skill, called using averted vision, is especially helpful when observing faint objects, because using averted vision puts the image on a part of your eye that is more sensitive to light, allowing you to see fainter images.
|Eyepiece Apparent FOV||120°|
|Eyepiece Barrel Size||2"|
|Eyepiece Eye Relief||13mm|
|Eyepiece Focal Length||9mm|
|No. of Elements||12|
|Optical Coatings||15 layer multi-coated|
|Warranty||5 yr transferable|