Lhires III is a very high resolution spectrograph designed for amateur and educational astronomy. Numerous projects are within reach thanks to the technology involved in this instrument. Professional/amateur collaborations have been done with Lhires III spectrographs.
* power of resolution R ~18000
* resolution of 0.035nm near Halpha
* wavelength selected by micrometer
* mirror slit 15-35µm, reflective for guiding
* Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope adapter delivered in standard
* internal neon lamp for calibration
* switchable grating modules
2400 gr/mm in an standard accesory
1200 gr/mm, 600 gr/mm, 300 gr/mm and 150 gr/mm and 2" camera adapters are optional accesories.
*You can add an eyepiece
* photo tripod adapter available for public outreach (visual solar spectrum)
An unique experience: solar spectra
Lhires III can be use visually, which makes it a great educational tool during astronomy days and public observing sessions. Without telescope, it allow to watch, safely, the solar spectra in very high resolution.
With a video camera or a webcam and a small instrument, Lhires III becomes a spectro-heliograph. One can then image the Sun in multiple wavelength (Ha, HeI, K...) using a scanning technic.
A very high resolution
Lhires III bring very high resolution spectrography to the amateurs at an affordable price. Lot of educational projects around Doppler effect can be done such as::
* Jupiter or Saturn rotation
* Radial velocity of stars
* Star rotation: v.sin(i)
* Spectroscopic binaries
Easy to use
With the mirror slit, the Lhires III is very easy to use and allow to center and maintain the target into the slit with great precision. A simple webcam allow to guide on bright star. You get the full control of the operation during the exposure and you do not need a state of the art mount to do spectrography!
A multi usage instrument
Almost all CCD cameras, SLR cameras, or simple webcam can be mounted on a Lhires III.
Very convenient: optional grating and support are available to adapt in few seconds your resolution to your project. Fainter objects are accessibles: novae, bright comets... See our performance page.
Go a step further with your Lhires III
Beyond the knowledge that your Lhires III could bring you in the field of astrophysic, this is also a powerfull collaboration tool between amaeurs and professional astronomers: Be stars monitoring, veriable stars...
- Littrow design
- Résolution (Dl/l) of 17000 around Ha
- 0.012nm dispersion (with 9µm pixels)
- Optimised for f/10 instruments
- Adaptable to all types of instruments
- Several detectors can be mounted: CCD camera, SLR camera, webcam...
- Mirror slit for precise guiding
- Light: 3.7lbs
- Compact: 9.8 x 7.9 x 3.3 inches