The Celestron CGEM Equatorial Mount is designed for both visual astronomy and astro-imaging. Since it has a 40 Ib payload, it is designed to hold Celestron's more heavy end optical tube assemblies such as the 9.25" EdgeHD. Adding Celestron's own StarBright XLT coatings, this telescope will provide a light gathering 1000x more than the unaided eye can detect. For visual astronomy, the Celestron EdgeHD system provides pinpoint stars over the entire field of view even when using a wide field eyepiece. It is also a major advantage for astro-imaging due to its ability to virtually eliminate coma seen in regular Schmidt-Cassegrain designs, and overall provide an aberration free image even when using some of the largest CCD chips in the marketplace. Since most Schmidt-Cassegrain optical tubes have a curved focal plane, this can render out of focus stars at the edge of a field of view when using a flat sensor. The EdgeHD optics provide a focal plane three-times flatter so this isn't an issue. Higher resolution is also a plus here because more detail can also be detected throughout the entire field of view. For instance, one might be able to detect apparent double stars at the edge of the field of view.
The CGEM Equatorial Mount's 40 Ib payload make it capable of mounting heavy SCT optical tubes such as the 9.25" EdgeHD. Celestron has designed simple and easy altazimuth and atitude adjustment knobs to make it easy for slewing and overall made the design quite simple to set up. The best of feature of this mount is the All-Star Polar Alignment method. This alignment makes it easy to track and slew to celestial objects by precisely aligning the mount with the proper adjustment of altitude and azimuth to the north celestial pole. The alignment procedure is quite simple. The observer must perform a standard two star alignment, then they must select an available star from the NexStar hand controller to slew to. Assuming the mount is already polar aligned, the mount will slew to the star selected and will let the user know how much altitude and azimuth to adjust to precisely align their mount to the north celestial pole. The CGEM has the capability of tracking objects past the meridian, the imaginary line from north to south. Especially at higher altitudes, this is the part of the sky that suffers less light pollution than objects near the horizon, therefore rendering better seeing and imaging conditions.
- New aplanatic Schmidt telescope design produces aberration-free images across a wide field of view
- Mirror tension locks hold the primary mirror in place and reduces image shift
- Cooling vents allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror
- Fastar compatible for fast f/2 imaging
CGEM Equatorial Mount
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- Redesigned electronics deliver constant regulated power to the motors making them capable of driving the telescope even when not perfectly balanced.
- New "All-star" Polar alignment uses any bright star for a quick and accurate Polar alignment
- Software Features include: Mount Calibration, Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five Alignment Procedures
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Meridian preference for slewing - allows you to approach an object from the side of the Meridian that maximizes tracking (and imaging) time.
- Solar System alignment method - allows you to align your telescope and view the moon and planets during the day
- Custom Rate 9 feature allows you set maximum slew rate
- Tandem mode allows you to star align the mount even when positioned for tandem scope use.
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number: the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar system objects and asterisms
- Permanent Programmable Periodic Error Correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives
- Drive Motors - Low Cog DC Servo motor with integrated optical encoders offer smooth, quiet operation and long life. The motor armatures are skewed to minimize cogging which is required for low speed tracking
- Internal Cable wiring for trouble-free setup and transportation
- Designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack, ST-4 compatible guide port
- Autoguide port and Auxiliary ports located on the electronic plate for long exposure astrophotography
- Double-line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- RS-232 communication port on hand to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory
- Precision machined 40 mm diameter steel Polar shafts supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings.
- Secure power plug ensures that the mount's power source is not accidentally disconnected
The CGEM EdgeHD Series combines Celestron's newly designed CGEM Computerized Equatorial mount with its new EdgeHD optical system. With up to 11" of aperture, our premium StarBright XLT coatings and diffraction limited performance, CGEM EdgeHD Series are designed as premier astro-imaging telescopes.
|Name||Celestron - CGEM 925 HD Computerized Telescope|
|Alignment Procedures||2-Star Align, Quick Align, 1-Star Align, Last Alignment, Solar System Align|
|Angular Field of View||0.8 °|
|Aperture||235 mm (9.25 in)|
|CD ROM||NexRemote control software with RS232 cable|
|Computer Hand Control||Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display; 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons|
|Counterweights||1 x 11 lbs, 1 x 17 lbs|
|Database||40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects|
|Eyepiece 1||23 mm (0.91 in)|
|Eyepiece 1 Field of View||.53 °|
|Focal Length||2350 mm (92.52 in)|
|Gear||Steel worm gear and 90 mm pitch diameter brass worm wheel|
|GPS||Optional SkySync GPS Accessory|
|Magnification 1||102 x|
|Mount||CGEM Computerized Equatorial|
|Optical Tube Length||22 in (558.8 mm)|
|Power Supply||Car battery adapter|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.49 arcsec|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||0.59 arcsec|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||3.35 in (85.09 mm)|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area||13.1 %|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||36.2 %|
|Software Precision||24 bit, 0.08 calculation|
|Tracking Modes||EQ North and EQ South|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Tripod||Adjustable, Stainless Steel|