Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium
- Provides audio and text descriptions for Solar System objects.
- Provides audio on select Messier objects.
- Highlights important milestones in astronomy and space history.
Introducing the SkyScout from Celestron: The SkyScout is a revolutionary, one of a kind, patented handheld device that instantly identifies and/or locates any celestial object visible to the naked eye, providing educational and entertaining information, both in text and audio. A fun learning tool for all ages, the SkyScout personal planetarium puts the knowledge of an expert astronomer in the palm of your hand.
Using the SkyScout: Point the SkyScout at any bright star and it will instantly identify the object or choose an object from the celestial database of over 6,000 objects and the SkyScout will guide you to it. The SkyScout includes great information and stories about the most popular celestial objects in scrolling text and narrated audio
SkyScout's unique features include: "Tonight's Must-See List" - When the SkyScout is turned on, it will tell the user the 10 coolest things to look at in the sky that night, using internal GPS to automatically customize it to where that particular user is located "Constellation Lessons" - If the user is looking at a star that's part of a constellation, the SkyScout will inform the user, show a picture of the constellation, and help the user locate the other stars in the constellation. "Updatable Software and Data" - USB port included for periodic updates of the operating software, as well as the ability to download new data for celestial objects like the Space Shuttle or passing comets. "SkyTour Content Cards" - SD card slot exists for additional content offerings, such as "Astronomy for Kids".
How does it work: SkyScout combines GPS technology, which gives the time, date and location of the user, software that calculates the position of the objects for that moment and 3 axis sensors measuring gravitational and magnetic fields to determine the true orientation of the SkyScout to the earth.
- Identifies celestial objects with the click of a button
- Locates over 6,000 stars, planets and constellations from built-in celestial database and provides scientific information for each object
- Provides comprehensive text and audio descriptions providing history, mythology and other entertaining information for the most popular objects
- Tonight's Highlights: A customized list of the 20 best objects to view for your exact date, time and location anywhere in the world
- Constellation Lessons: if the star you identify or locate is part of a constellation or an asterism like the Big Dipper, you can actually take a guided tour through all the stars in that constellation and even see an onscreen map of the constellation
- Built-in Field Guide Includes:
Introduction to astronomy: a six part audio lesson on the origin and history of astronomy
Glossary of Terms: text defining popular astronomy terms including planets, comets, galaxies and more
Great Astronomers: text bios on some of the world's greatest astronomers including Galileo, Einstein and Copernicus
Man Made Space Objects: text description of some of the coolest objects man has sent into space including the International Space Station, the Hubble Space Telescope and the Space Shuttle
Comet Guide: text descriptions about history's most famous comets including Halley's Comet and Comet Hale-Bop
- SD card slot: for optional "SkyScout Expansion Cards" audio presentations that provide hours of entertainment on a variety of topics (available Jan 08)
- USB port: allows database to be updated with new objects as they are discovered, comets, etc.
- Simple enough for all ages: just turn it on and it's ready to use
- Built-in Help Menu: includes a quick start instruction guide for using the SkyScout
- Bring it anywhere: compact and light design makes it easy to carry and durable construction makes it safe for rugged environments
- Backed by Celestron/'s 2-year warranty