The VIXEN OPTICS VMC200L Reflector Telescope is a unique 200mm, 8" catadioptric optical system. It incorporates a primary mirror and a meniscus corrector just before a secondary mirror. By doing so, light is corrected twice on the optical path. The end result is that spherical aberration and field curvature are corrected to a high degree of optical performance. The VMC200L’s primary mirror is f/2.5; the compound optical system is f/9.75. This makes the system much more compact and portable than its competition. With the optical correction placed before the secondary mirror, the VMC200L avoids the necessity of having a corrector plate and all the condensation problems associated with a closed optical tube.
The Vixen VMC200L is a telescope suitable for observation of all types of celestial objects. The VMC200L is a unique design that employs a meniscus corrector lens along with two high-precision spherical mirrors to help eliminate spherical aberration and yield a sharp image with no hint of false color. The VMC200L offers excellent performance for both visual and photographic use. The open tube design eliminates the dew problem that is common with conventional Schmidt-Cassegrain systems and its compact size makes it very easy to handle. The rack and pinion focuser accepts 2" eyepieces and accessories with an adapter.
An additional key feature is the rack and pinion focusing that is placed behind the primary mirror. The use of this focusing system eliminates the image shift associated with most other SCT systems. This is especially important when using high power magnification or astro-photography. When focusing, the image is stable and easy to adjust. Astronomy Technology says "the f/9.75 focal ratio is noticeably faster than the typical Maksutov design which translates into a wider true field of view. Reaching focus is easy. Lightweight, portable, 8 inches of aperture, fast cool down, zero image shift, and reasonably priced "
Vixen VMC200L Features:
- The VMC200L Reflector features a Catadioptric "Field Maksutov" type design with two spherical mirrors and a Meniscus Corrector Element just before the secondary mirror.
- Rack and Pinion focusing system is behind the primary mirror.
- Unique design incorporates a primary mirror and a meniscus corrector before a secondary mirror.
- Open tube design eliminates the dew problem that is common with conventional Schmidt-Cassegrain systems.
- 2 high-precision mirrors eliminate spherical aberration and yield a sharp image with no hint of false color.
- Superior build quality, high tech materials, light weight and compact size equals true portability
Modified Maksutov-Cassegrain 8 inch Reflector
|Name||Vixen - 200mm VMC200L (f/9.75) Catadioptrical Reflector Optical Tube Assembly|
|Backfocus Distance||149.0 mm (from rear edge of focuser)|
|Central obstruction||80 mm diameter|
|Diameter of Primary Mirror||200 mm|
|Focal Length||1950 mm|
|Focuser||Behind Primary Mirror|
|Included Accessories||Metal Carry Handle, Dovetail Mounting|
|Light Gathering Power||816x|
|Optical Tube Length||510mm|
|Primary Mirror||f=1950mm, f/9.75|
|Secondary Mirror||72 mm dia|