Vixen GP2 Equatorial Mount
The GP2 mount's aluminum die-cast body is strong and light with accurate tracking accomplished by dual 144-tooth aluminum worm wheels and a brass R.A. worm gear machined to better than 0.002-mm tolerance.
This mount comes fully equipped: metal setting circles, bubble-level, fine adjustment knobs for altitude/azimuth, and 3.7-kg (8-lb) counterweight are standard. Motors on each axis make this system complete for visual observation and tracked astro photography. Smooth Accurate Tracking with Vixen's GP2 Equatorial Mount makes it a platform for serious astronomers. This easy to use mount functions well for both the visual observer and the astrophotographer. The GP2 is an excellent choice for observers who want a simple, yet sturdy mount, with the ability to grow.
The GP2 Equatorial Mount is an excellent choice for observers who want a simple, yet sturdy mount, with the ability to grow into a tracking system. Strong and lightweight, with smooth and accurate tracking, these features that make Vixen's GP2 Equatorial Mount a platform for serious astronomers. This easy to use equatorial mount functions well for both the visual observer and the astrophotographer.
The Vixen Great Polaris 2 German equatorial mount is the acknowledged standard by which mid-priced equatorial mounts are judged.
- Payload capacity: The Great Polaris 2 has a payload capacity of 15.4 pounds (7kg). This allows the use of most catadioptric and smaller reflector optical tubes, along with refractors up to about 4" in aperture.
- Drive system details: The Great Polaris 2 has 144-tooth aluminum main drive gears in both right ascension and declination. To keep the periodic error that affects tracking accuracy in astrophotography to a minimum, the brass right ascension worm gear and the declination worm gear are precision machined to two micron (2/1000ths of a millimeter) tolerances for precise tracking of celestial motion. All right ascension and declination gears are individually inspected before assembly. Optional single and dual axis motor drives are available for no-hands tracking and guided astrophotography. Standard equipment covers for the optional motor drives keep dust and debris out of the motors for more trouble-free operation in dusty environments.
- Mount weight: The Great Polaris 2 has an aluminum die-cast body that?s built to be strong, yet light, to satisfy both stability and ease of portability needs. The complete mount, including standard equipment 8.2 pound counterweight and aluminum tripod, weighs only 28 pounds, making transportation and setup easy. Additional counterweights are recommended to balance payloads over 9 pounds.
- Polar finder and polar alignment: An optical polar finder is optional. A built-in latitude scale and single altitude adjustment handle allows the mount to be roughly aligned vertically on the celestial pole for casual observing. Standard twin adjustment knobs let you fine-tune the azimuth alignment on the pole over a +/-5 arc. The mount is designed to operate in both northern and southern hemispheres at latitudes from 0 (the equator) to 62 (Central Canada, Northern Europe, and all of South America).
- Optical tube mounting method: The mount is equipped with a dovetail groove for installing telescope optical tubes. No dovetail plate is supplied to hold the optical tube, as the choice of dovetail plates is dependent on the optical tube to be installed. A variety of optional dovetail plates are available. Setup and takedown times are exceptionally fast, as a single large hand-tighten knob holds the optical tube and dovetail plate in place and adjusts the balance.
If you're looking for a precision mount at a price that won't wreck your budget, take a careful look at the Vixen Great Polaris 2. It is an economy mount in price only, not in performance.
The 2° incremental altitude scale with the optional compass shows the direction of the celestial North or South Pole
|Vixen's Universal Dovetail Plate Attachment allows you to mount a variety of optical tubes|
|Name||Vixen - GP2 Equatorial Mount - (Hal-130 Tripod)|